I’m kind of obsessed with the video montage for Lana Del Rey’s Carmen. When I used to have long stays in LA, I would play it on repeat instead of watching the depressing news. On a brighter culinary note, there’s a Spanish tapas revival in Toronto of late. This bodes well with my other obsession, channelling my inner senorita. Ole!
My favourite Spanish tapas are in no particular order:
- Tortilla Espanola – a thick egg and potatoe omelet
- Patatas Bravas – bite size potatoes (my favourite type are fried, obviously!) with a tomatoe and garlic sauce
- Croquetas – Croquettes flavoured with béchamel combined with ham, shrimp or cheese
- Manchego – A cheese made from sheep milk originating from the La Mancha region of Spain. Reminds me of lazy afternoons having wine with the locals in Marbella. Le sigh!
For a casual option, try the restaurant of the same name Carmen (922 Queen St. West) or for a more ritzy experience, try Patria (480 King St. West). I’m going to go out on a limb and say, “Patria has the best Patatas Bravas in town.”
May 21, 2013 No Comments
For you here,
And now so let me hold both your hands in,
The holes of my sweater.”
Sweater Weather, The Neighbourhood
Next weekend, I think I need to seriously stock up!
September 23, 2012 1 Comment
This blog post is alternatively titled “WWCD,” the acryonym broken down as ‘What Would Carrie Do?’ Get that on your very retro, 90′s throwback, nameplate gold necklace, why dontcha? I love New York. Do you love New York? If you don’t, you should! There is a frenetic energy that underscores the city, a dash of glamour punctuated with personality, heart and grit.
All of my travels to New York are filled with wild adventure and enough sketchy tall tales to fill a screenplay in which incriminating names and places have been changed to protect the innocent. (Ahem, said film would be directed by Wes Anderson, young me played by Vanessa Hudgens, older me Thandie Newton). While I would love to share all my secrets, my hair would deflate.
Here are some fun places to see and be seen, that both Carrie and I quite enjoy….
Manolo Blahnik (31 West 54th Street) – My friend C dragged me to the store in search of perfect wedding shoes. Surprisingly, the store is in a tiny brick building (blink and you’ll miss it) with Manolo’s strewn about on ledges and divans like an Upper East side apartment of an aging socialite. Apparently, the ladies of Manolo need to take a siesta between 2-3pm. So make sure you go post-haste, guzzle your brunch Mimosa before they shoo-shoo you out of there. If you are going to spend a wild fortune on shoes, you should languish in a chaise, take your time and try on high heels a la Cinderella.
Shopping in SoHo – I think this neighbourhood (SOuth of HOuston) in Lower Manhattan has such character with its cobblestone streets, funky boutiques, artsy galleries and cafes. It is a tourist mecca on the weekends but more casual and chilled out on a weekday. You can get your boho on at Free People or Madewell, max your credit card at the Bloomingdales shoe department, rock leather and lace at All Saints, run into Clinton & Stacy at Scoop NYC or stalk your fave Kardashian at DASH (mine is Khloe for laughs, Kourtney for clothes).
Buddakan (75 9th Avenue) – This Chelsea supper club was in the engagement dinner scene of the SATC movie. The Asian fusion menu is tapas style, perfect for sharing and reasonably priced…until your waiter starts free pouring the Grey Goose. But it’s ok, you’ve had dinner so the hangover won’t be that bad.
July 16, 2012 No Comments
Lord, help meaaah! I’m not good with heat but I will take a scorcher to a blizzard any day. Keeping one’s cool is definitely the goal during these warm summer nights. I take Summer very seriously – like make the most of it, be prepared for any social situation and take advantage of the warm weather to change multiple times in a day.
Remember, I’m the girl whose Resort attire disproportionately rivals her work/casual. Haha. Laughing at my own joke. I do that.
- Never Leave Home Without Your Bikini – As in my mother once said… Actually, she never said that but I always bring a bikini in my purse or wear one under my maxidress on a hot day. You never know if someone is going to invite you to an impromptu pool party, ask to meet you by the beach or you accidentally stumble upon a hottt tub. Think like a Girl Guide.
- Return of the bustier – In an effort to maintain my youthful karma reverting to dressing like a 20 yr old, I am bringing back the bustier, and her cousin the bandeau. My favourite are sweetheart necklines which accentuate your form. These are great for less curvy girls as they add some extra shape. The bandeau is lovely paired with a flowy chiffon maxi skirt — I support this look for ladies with great abs (do it for the rest of us).
- 3pm is Smoothie time – Now that it’s Summer and we’re wearing less clothes, let’s detox and shape up. A seasonal change is the best time to get your cute @ss back to the gym and start eating healthy. They say that it is essential to eat at 3pm to stave off hunger and reduce that dreaded sugar high-low. A refreshing treat is a seasonal fruit smoothie which is filling, nutricious and delicious! Note: I did not say Frappucino with extra whip and caramel.
June 21, 2012 No Comments
A friend once commented, “You are always taking glamourous vacations.” To this I replied, “It’s glamourous vacations ONLY…with fun friends.” Stay-cations are fine if you’re moving or you need an extended period of time to do monotonous errands, but I say book me the next airplane ticket out of here and it better include beach, ocean and caftans.
I am very excited to return to my stomping grounds, my Latino home away from home, South Beach. Over the years, I have accumulated travel compulsions knowledge that have carried me many a Resort season. If only real life could include higher levels of sun and fun, our troubles would melt away like the last ice cube in your salty margarita. Here are some of those pearls of wisdom just in time for vacation season…
April 15, 2012 1 Comment
Darlings, thanks for sticking out my blog drought. It was a desert. You were thirsty. Your lips were cracking. You really needed a hit of Chapstick. For you, I present a tall glass of lemonade-vodka on the rocks with a tiny pink tiki umbrella and a pot of Kiehl’s lipbalm. Ahhhh. So much better right?
All of a sudden, my toes are freezing and I am most inclined to reach for my 20 denier tights than freeze my legs off. What does it all mean? It means we need to get serious about our Fall fashion. Friday after all, is the official start to the season. Take stock of your rolling rack and make a list. It’s easy to get side-tracked when so many sumptuous cashmere sweaters are folded neatly on nesting tables and shiny baubles gleam from glass cases.
Focus is key. Here are some fall suggestions to get your MUST HAVE list going…
September 22, 2011 No Comments