never happened!! (ba-dum-pum) This is especially true if you go to Cabo San Lucas to soak up the sun and take an extended siesta all day on the beach, then repose by the pool, gorge on salsa and tortilla chips only to siesta in your room and tuck in early to catch Kourtney & Kim Take Miami on E! Latino. But if I was in Cabo with my girlfriends at 21, I would be that girl drinking pina coladas in the infinity pool, doing the hotel dance and waking up my neighbours at 4am from a late night dance session to latin house. How can I judge the kids on Spring Break? I was that girl.
Cabo San Lucas is a resort town on the southern tip of the Baja California. Nestled amid the scenic mountains are million dollar mansions and a marina filled with bright white yachts. This charming town has restaurants, bars and a few outdoor shops. Perch yourself on the pier at La Casa Country, enjoy a plate of fish tacos, a major pina colada and people watch until the sun sets. Or indulge in some retail therapy at Ondade Mar for vibrant Columbian swimwear or uniquely latin caftans.
Much like an observer of street trends, I thought I would share some insights straight off the beach…
- Day Glow Neon – Perhaps you feel you’ve already done neon but it was huge on the beach. To avoid neon overkill, many gals paired their bright bandeau with a black bottom or toned down the fluorescence by wearing a print accented with neon. For the less fashionistah adventuress, muted neons in coral, pink and chartreuse are the way to go.
- Stacked Bracelets – Oh, you can never wear too many at once! The look is a mashup of skinny bangles, round beads, braided leather or string friendship bracelets. To elevate the look add a few simple gold bangles, charm bracelets or a skinny watch.
- Haute Hippie Headwrap – Perhaps the beach is the best place for fashion risk-taking. Swim turbans and headwraps abound! Function meets fashion! Not only are you shading your pretty little head from the sun, you are also making a MAJOR statement.
- Return of the Crop Top – Oh yes, 90′s resurgence. Save the fitted crop top for the teens and the 20-somethings. Go oversize for that Flashdance/Let’s Get Physical, off the shoulder, laisser-faire, I’m casual vibe.
February 24, 2013 No Comments
Dearies, this is the third time I have attempted to write this post. Perhaps this attempt will be the charm. Every year, around the time that my boots get damaged by salty slush, I have to scrape the ice off my windshield and my hair turns to icicles if I don’t properly blowdry, I like to write a little ditty about Resort. As a summer baby, I lament the loss of our friend sunshine and wearing too many layers causing my hair to stand up in a static-y frizz.
Snowbirds rejoice! This year, we have many Swim trends to pique our fancy. With bathings suits (like shoes and handbags), you can never-ever-ever have too many. The newest styles are ones that mimic fashion trends so be on the look out for saturated hues, mixing of pattern and textures, bold motifs and retro styles.
January 26, 2013 No Comments
It’s that time of the year again — party time! Ooh, I am a naughty blogeress. I blame my blogging blackout on my overstuffed social calendar. I am quite partial, fond, obsessed with clothing that looks as though I accidentally got slimed on You Can’t Do That On Television, but in lieu of green slime, insert Elmer’s Glue, lost my footing and fell into a giant vat of sequins. You gotta love a fashionistah for commitment.
Let’s not be so predictable this party season with the same old, same old. Here are some sartorial sequin selections to get the DJ to play your requests, the effects guy to point the spotlight in your direction and kick off the social season.
Ombre sequins – A golden sequin lightly brushed with dye which gives an allover Monet effect. That, or sequins strategically positionned to give off a gradient ombre (light to dark) appearance.
Two sided sequins – When you brush your hand in one direction, the sequins are black. When you brush them in the opposite direction, the sequins are silver. If someone lays a hand on your assets, proof of SCANDAL!
Paillettes – Not for the fashionistah wallflower, paillettes are a larger circle sequin typically 1/2″ or bigger in diameter. The effect is very retro meets giant scale fish. Makes me want to wear extra thick liquid eyeliner and tease my hair into a giant beehive.
Save The Best For Last – You tell it Whitney! Are you just happy to see me or are those sequin shoes on your feet. I bet if sequins were around back then, Cinderella would have sequin stilettos. I think this is a fun contrast if you are wearing a cocktail dress in a solid bold hue or a flamboyant LBD (little black dress).
November 25, 2012 No Comments
You know when you leave reallyx3 late from work and it’s pitch black outside? It reminds me of episodes of Ally McBeal where she would come home, change out of her mini-powersuit into her flannel jammies and hallucinate that dancing baby. Nostalgia. You want to watch it now – Ally McBeal to the tune of Barry White
Well sometimes after a long hard day, why wouldn’t you want to put on a super-cute pair of jammy-jams?
October 5, 2012 No Comments
For you here,
And now so let me hold both your hands in,
The holes of my sweater.”
Sweater Weather, The Neighbourhood
Next weekend, I think I need to seriously stock up!
September 23, 2012 1 Comment
The reason why the September issue is a bazillion pages is that designers go all out for Fall. Forget weight training, just go to the newstand and pick up a few magazines. Heavy! This is the best time of year to purge your closet (donate or give your friends some duds) and make room for a few new pieces to jump-start your wardrobe.
As promised, morex3 Fall Fashion Must-Haves:
- The Scarf Print – A Baroque pattern inspired by 80′s Versace motifs is one of the standout prints of the season. I particulary like it on a floaty chiffon blouse or on a silk scarf. To channel your inner Jackie O. take a square scarf, folding it into a triangle and tie the points at the nape of your neck. Allow the scarf to drape loosely creating a cowl. This is my favourite look with a fitted blazer. Super chic!
- Skinny Of The Future - This season there are many denim options – jewel tones, printed or coated. Take your pick! While colour denim was hottt for Spring/Summer, we are seeing denim in Fall hues such as burgundy, mustard, emerald, turquoise and magenta. For edgier fashionistahs, there are styles in tie-dye, metallic and faux leather finishes.
- Eye of the Tiger – The koala is my power animal when I am sleepy but when I am all riled up, it’s leopard, cheetah or tiger all the way. Animal prints are easy pieces to add to your transitional wardrobe (especially paired with camel or burgundy), but there is a major emphasis on tigers for Fall/Winter. These giant tiger heads are popping up on sweaters, dresses and tops.
September 10, 2012 No Comments