never happened!! (ba-dum-pum) This is especially true if you go to Cabo San Lucas to soak up the sun and take an extended siesta all day on the beach, then repose by the pool, gorge on salsa and tortilla chips only to siesta in your room and tuck in early to catch Kourtney & Kim Take Miami on E! Latino. But if I was in Cabo with my girlfriends at 21, I would be that girl drinking pina coladas in the infinity pool, doing the hotel dance and waking up my neighbours at 4am from a late night dance session to latin house. How can I judge the kids on Spring Break? I was that girl.
Cabo San Lucas is a resort town on the southern tip of the Baja California. Nestled amid the scenic mountains are million dollar mansions and a marina filled with bright white yachts. This charming town has restaurants, bars and a few outdoor shops. Perch yourself on the pier at La Casa Country, enjoy a plate of fish tacos, a major pina colada and people watch until the sun sets. Or indulge in some retail therapy at Ondade Mar for vibrant Columbian swimwear or uniquely latin caftans.
Much like an observer of street trends, I thought I would share some insights straight off the beach…
- Day Glow Neon – Perhaps you feel you’ve already done neon but it was huge on the beach. To avoid neon overkill, many gals paired their bright bandeau with a black bottom or toned down the fluorescence by wearing a print accented with neon. For the less fashionistah adventuress, muted neons in coral, pink and chartreuse are the way to go.
- Stacked Bracelets – Oh, you can never wear too many at once! The look is a mashup of skinny bangles, round beads, braided leather or string friendship bracelets. To elevate the look add a few simple gold bangles, charm bracelets or a skinny watch.
- Haute Hippie Headwrap – Perhaps the beach is the best place for fashion risk-taking. Swim turbans and headwraps abound! Function meets fashion! Not only are you shading your pretty little head from the sun, you are also making a MAJOR statement.
- Return of the Crop Top – Oh yes, 90′s resurgence. Save the fitted crop top for the teens and the 20-somethings. Go oversize for that Flashdance/Let’s Get Physical, off the shoulder, laisser-faire, I’m casual vibe.
February 24, 2013 No Comments
Dearies, this is the third time I have attempted to write this post. Perhaps this attempt will be the charm. Every year, around the time that my boots get damaged by salty slush, I have to scrape the ice off my windshield and my hair turns to icicles if I don’t properly blowdry, I like to write a little ditty about Resort. As a summer baby, I lament the loss of our friend sunshine and wearing too many layers causing my hair to stand up in a static-y frizz.
Snowbirds rejoice! This year, we have many Swim trends to pique our fancy. With bathings suits (like shoes and handbags), you can never-ever-ever have too many. The newest styles are ones that mimic fashion trends so be on the look out for saturated hues, mixing of pattern and textures, bold motifs and retro styles.
January 26, 2013 No Comments
Lord, help meaaah! I’m not good with heat but I will take a scorcher to a blizzard any day. Keeping one’s cool is definitely the goal during these warm summer nights. I take Summer very seriously – like make the most of it, be prepared for any social situation and take advantage of the warm weather to change multiple times in a day.
Remember, I’m the girl whose Resort attire disproportionately rivals her work/casual. Haha. Laughing at my own joke. I do that.
- Never Leave Home Without Your Bikini – As in my mother once said… Actually, she never said that but I always bring a bikini in my purse or wear one under my maxidress on a hot day. You never know if someone is going to invite you to an impromptu pool party, ask to meet you by the beach or you accidentally stumble upon a hottt tub. Think like a Girl Guide.
- Return of the bustier – In an effort to maintain my youthful karma reverting to dressing like a 20 yr old, I am bringing back the bustier, and her cousin the bandeau. My favourite are sweetheart necklines which accentuate your form. These are great for less curvy girls as they add some extra shape. The bandeau is lovely paired with a flowy chiffon maxi skirt — I support this look for ladies with great abs (do it for the rest of us).
- 3pm is Smoothie time – Now that it’s Summer and we’re wearing less clothes, let’s detox and shape up. A seasonal change is the best time to get your cute @ss back to the gym and start eating healthy. They say that it is essential to eat at 3pm to stave off hunger and reduce that dreaded sugar high-low. A refreshing treat is a seasonal fruit smoothie which is filling, nutricious and delicious! Note: I did not say Frappucino with extra whip and caramel.
June 21, 2012 No Comments
I haven’t written a music post in a while yet like so many of my diversions, it truly is a passion. This playlist is a compilation of songs inspired by Seth & Summer. Songs they would play on the beach while roasting marshmallows to the view of the setting sun and sounds of crashing waves, her clad in her bikini and Juicy hoodie and him in his Penguin shirt and plaid boardshorts. Is it weird that I’m nostalgic for 2005? I dated a lot of cute skinny boys that summer, rode around my car Habeebs with my sunroof open, danced under the stars and tanned on the beach. Good times.
Some sweet sounds. Dream on young lovers…
- Summer Camp – I Want You
- Air – Playground Love
- Conner Youngblood – A Summer Song
- Foster the People – Helena Beat
- Phoenix – Love Like a Sunset
- Tokyo Police Club – Bambi
- Young the Giant – Strings
- Death Cab For Cutie – You Are A Tourist (Seth Cohen’s favourite band)
August 6, 2011 No Comments
The newly planted herbs in the windowsill are dying a slow, tragic death. My always perfectly jeujed bangs are plastered to my forehead and for someone who doesn’t really sweat, I am sweating in places that I never knew existed. Guess what? Only dancers in music videos and Cindy Crawford in a Pepsi commercial circa 1990 look damn sexy in the blistering heat (though I can’t comment on the smell). For us regular folk, we just have to work it a little harder.
With no air conditionning, there seems to be little relief with the windows open, curtains drawn. With record-breaking soaring temperatures, modesty is at best, an afterthought. Perhaps this is high season for voyeurs since cooking in your underwear is de rigeur. And if we’re going to be prancing about in our skivvies, let’s channel Risky Business (without the long-sleeve since it’s much too HOTTT for that!)…
July 25, 2011 No Comments
Scorching heatwave again. No complaints here. This upcoming weekend heralds the last long weekend. Teardrop tsunami.
Are you heading up North for a final hurrah, laying in a floatie by the dock? Are you going to stay in the quiet city and read a book under the shade of an old Maple tree? Are you going to the EX to eat strawbery funnel cake followed by a spin on the Polar Bear Express? Maybe take in an outdoor movie on a rooftop or a friend’s backyard BBQ? Whatever your poison, just make relaxation a number #1 priority.
- Double Dose of Joseph Gordon-Levitt – Why not do a JGL double feature? 10 Things I Hate About You paired with 500 Days of Summer. Zoey Deschanel’s A-line dresses will get you thinking about integrating 1950′s style into your Fall wardrobe.
- Bikini Bonanza – I don’t wear my bikinis as much in summer as I do on vacation. The irony. But if you are going somewhere worth breaking out your itsy-bitsy, why not try to squeeze as much ROC as you can. Also, end of summer sales are great for stocking up, especially on mix and match styles. In the winter, nice selections of bathing suits are impossible to find (Murphy’s law).
- Drinkies On The Patio – When it’s summer, we take for granted how lovely it is to sit outdoors while sipping on a cocktail or martini. On a weekday, try the Cafe or the Sky Yard at the Drake Hotel (1150 Queen St. West). The enclosed sidewalk patio at Kalendar (546 College St.) has an old-world French charm and good share plates. Baked Brie anyone?
August 30, 2010 No Comments