Lord, help meaaah! I’m not good with heat but I will take a scorcher to a blizzard any day. Keeping one’s cool is definitely the goal during these warm summer nights. I take Summer very seriously – like make the most of it, be prepared for any social situation and take advantage of the warm weather to change multiple times in a day.
Remember, I’m the girl whose Resort attire disproportionately rivals her work/casual. Haha. Laughing at my own joke. I do that.
- Never Leave Home Without Your Bikini – As in my mother once said… Actually, she never said that but I always bring a bikini in my purse or wear one under my maxidress on a hot day. You never know if someone is going to invite you to an impromptu pool party, ask to meet you by the beach or you accidentally stumble upon a hottt tub. Think like a Girl Guide.
- Return of the bustier – In an effort to maintain my youthful karma reverting to dressing like a 20 yr old, I am bringing back the bustier, and her cousin the bandeau. My favourite are sweetheart necklines which accentuate your form. These are great for less curvy girls as they add some extra shape. The bandeau is lovely paired with a flowy chiffon maxi skirt — I support this look for ladies with great abs (do it for the rest of us).
- 3pm is Smoothie time – Now that it’s Summer and we’re wearing less clothes, let’s detox and shape up. A seasonal change is the best time to get your cute @ss back to the gym and start eating healthy. They say that it is essential to eat at 3pm to stave off hunger and reduce that dreaded sugar high-low. A refreshing treat is a seasonal fruit smoothie which is filling, nutricious and delicious! Note: I did not say Frappucino with extra whip and caramel.
June 21, 2012 No Comments
OMGx3. In my middle age, sometimes I get a very random memory come back to me and I enjoy a silent chuckle.
As a tween in the 80′s growing up in the suburbs, we often had ‘punk parties.’ To achieve such a look: find an oversize shirt (WWMW – what would Madonna wear?), throw on a wide leather belt slung on your hips, crimp/tease your hair with a liberal application of hairspray (hold 10 seconds), accessorize with mesh gloves and the piece de resistance, drawing a giant lightning bolt on your cheek with blue lipstick. Sometimes you would get misinformation and a half hour before your arrival, you wouldn’t know if it was a ‘normal/wear jeans’ party or a ‘punk’ party. Such stress! And it’s not like we had cell phones back then! Drrrring! Dring!
In dire scenarios such as these, there was only one out — to keep a tube of blue lipstick in your pocket and offer to punkify the rest of your friends. With costumes, commitment and persuasion are key.
You wanna throw a punk party now. Ditto. Here’s your 80′s hair band playlist:
- Starship – We Built This City on Rock N’ Roll
- White Snake – Here I Go Again
- Def Leppard – Pour Some Sugar on Me
- Guns N’ Roses – Paradise City
- Mr. Big – To Be With You
- Poison – Every Rose Has Its Thorn
- Thompson Twins – Hold Me
June 5, 2012 No Comments
But you can’t take the Miami out of the girl. You know what I love about fashion in South Florida? That people are vibrant, tanned, and sport colours found on the feathers of a parakeet. They are tropical caliente (hottt), they got it and they flaunt it. Oh yeahx3!
As we enjoyed a very late lunch at the Waldorf Towers on Ocean Drive (which serves delightful mussels in a white wine sauce and BOGO drinks during Happy Hour), torrential rain pounded to the thumping beat of Calvin Harris. We pondered our Resort fashion choices that deter the attractions of the male species. This post is alternately titled, “fashion summer-y things I like to wear that have no appeal to guys whatsoever.”
Oversized Sunglasses – Why? Because apparently oversize sunglasses can be deceiving and you can’t tell if a woman is really attractive until she takes them off. Sorry boys, I only wear my oversize to the beach! You will have to check out my other ass-ets.
R-r-r-ruffles (roll your R) – Dudes, I live for ruffles. I don’t really get this one but I just want to say that ruffles are my lifestyle choice. Like if I’m going salsa dancing and you want to come with me, you better get down with those ruffles and shower me with compliments. And when that Tito Puente song comes to a close, I nonchalantly wrap my left leg around your thigh, you better go in for the dip! Crowd-pleaser.
Scarves Worn on your Head – I have been tying scarves on my head since I was a teenager and if it’s good enough for style icons Sophia Loren or Audrey Hepburn, your opinion doesn’t matter. Once watching a performance on the steps of Notre Dame in Paris, a mime mocked my fashion choice. “Um, you’re a mime. Why are you talking?” I like taking a vintage square scarf folding it in half to make a triangle and tying the ends to make a hankerchief on my head.
May 26, 2012 No Comments
Lately, I admit I have been reverting to my 90′s teenage heart. Buried away like an amnesiac grasping for a memory, “Wait a second. Ohmigod, I remember…lipstick! It looks so good on.” For a decade, I put away my M.A.C. matte Viva Glam in favour of lipgloss or Chapstick. But I have been enjoying a renaissance of sorts what with the off the charts ROC (return on compliment) that my pop-art fuschia lips have been inspiring from friends…and random strangers. By the way, you know it’s a winning look when you get stopped by strangers. Just take it and say ‘thank you.’
While I profess my love of M.A.C., I don’t think it’s necessary to splurge all the time on lipstick. I mean, you also need money to fund your shoes and grocery. You can find some lovely hues at the drugstore and like me, you won’t shed tears when you lose your favourite gloss or get it confiscated at the airport security. Here are my Top Summer picks:
1. Coral Crush – I think that Coral is one of the most flattering hues to wear in Summer, what with your tan, white eyelet summer dress already going for you. Whenever you wear a bright lipstick, I think it’s best to keep the rest of your makeup somewhat neutral with shades of taupes or browns and a gentle application of mascara.
2. In the Mood for Nude - Nude is sooooo 90′s matched with your M.A.C. Spice lipiner. Ahhh, we were freshmen then. Le sigh. I love a nude lipstick with a baby pink undertone – this is very Edie Sedgwick circa Andy Warhol’s The Factory. Looks amazing paired with a heavy handed smokey eye and dramatic swirl of cat-eye liquid eyeliner. Meow!
3. Red Never Dies – My mom was trying to make me buy red lipstick today. It is the classic go-to. The key to red lipstick is first finding the hue that suits your complexion then practicing to achieve a perfect shape and applying enough coats so that the colour is opaque. Here is a mini tutorial on how to get The Perfect Red Pout. Special trick: If you have trouble lining your lips, start filling in your lips working your way out so you don’t line outside your natural lipline. Ronald McDonald is a definite don’t. Please be a DO!
May 13, 2012 2 Comments
Every Spring, the fashionistahs flock to worship at the altar of Anna Wintour. En masse, they come in droves to fete the designers and out ballgown each other at an annual event, The Met Gala. The soiree marks the opening of the fashion exhibition of two Italian designers, Impossible Conversations: Elsa Schiaparelli and Muiccia Prada at the MOMA. If you are in New York and a lover of fashion history, you should probably check it out.
Now back to the extravagance and audacity that is the Gala. Best-dressed lists are subjective and my point of view is that these celebs chose to go a more adventurous route, the path less beaten, choices more playful and memorable in their selection, statements so individual, they seared into the fashionistah collective consciousness.
Fashionistah Grain of Wisdom: When selecting evening attire, you must wear the dress and not let the dress wear you.
May 11, 2012 No Comments
My heart belongs somewhere in Andalucia and I have an affinity for anything related to Spanish culture – the food, the people, music and fashion. While the celebration of Cinco de Mayo is based on a historical event (the battle of Pueblo Mexico), I thought it would be fun to give you a few creative ideas to celebrate.
And last but not least, perhaps you want to enjoy some Spanish cuisine whilst wishing upon that Super Moon – check out some Mexican dining options via BlogTO.
May 5, 2012 No Comments