But if anyone asks, a shoetie is really a bootie. More specifically, the kind of bootie that ends at your ankle. It has a nice lyrical flow and rrrrrrrolls off the tongue, non? Before the streets fill up with slush and snow, Fall is the best time to invest in suede or leather booties. Much like a leather bomber jacket, booties have a short timeframe on the East Coast so wear them while you can!
Shoetie chic – Shoeties look great with slim pants like a stretch ponte or a cigarette pant. They are also very striking with a basic black opaque tight (very flattering) or for added punch, try them with a bold tight in a jewel tone. For casual days where you don’t want to channel a ragamuffin (translation: more dressed up, than dressed down), nothing beats shoeties with a favourite pair of jeans.
October 21, 2012 No Comments
Part of any long weekend must involve laying on the couch watching a movie. Lately, my cinematic choices have been of the musical variety. Pitch Perfect, anyone? Stop pretending you don’t love coming of age comedies, an acapella No Diggity riff-off and the comedic stylings of Rebel Wilson. But I majorly digress…
A few months ago, I went to the movies with my good friend J and we were going to spontaneously choose a film upon arrival. She felt too guilty to watch the new Batman without her husband (such loyalty!), Katy Perry Part of Me was on too late (teenage hearts), so we opted for the reboot of Total Recall (last resort). A complete waste of Colin Farrell and 2 hours of my life, which I will never, ever get back, ever (to the tune of a Taylor Swift breakup song). Another digression…
So now that Katy Perry: Part of Me is available to watch from the comfort of my living room, I decided to continue on this musical love affair. First I would like to say, I am not a die-hard Katy Perry fan. I think she’s quite likeable, she has a Betty Boop thing going and I think she has a unique voice. Nonetheless, I found myself shedding a few tears watching this documentary shot during her 2011 World Tour.
The film is a revealing portrait of a singer who struggled to find her place in pop music and ultimately became hugely success. The movie also shows very personal moments as Katy spends time with her family, has professional high’s achieving many #1 singles, she also goes through depression with the breakup of her marriage to Russell Brand. Music and drrrrrama! Whoa, it was more teardrop than I expected.
My final tangent…I like singing Wide Awake in the car. Excellent driving tune. THE END.
October 7, 2012 No Comments
You know when you leave reallyx3 late from work and it’s pitch black outside? It reminds me of episodes of Ally McBeal where she would come home, change out of her mini-powersuit into her flannel jammies and hallucinate that dancing baby. Nostalgia. You want to watch it now – Ally McBeal to the tune of Barry White
Well sometimes after a long hard day, why wouldn’t you want to put on a super-cute pair of jammy-jams?
October 5, 2012 No Comments
For you here,
And now so let me hold both your hands in,
The holes of my sweater.”
Sweater Weather, The Neighbourhood
Next weekend, I think I need to seriously stock up!
September 23, 2012 1 Comment
The reason why the September issue is a bazillion pages is that designers go all out for Fall. Forget weight training, just go to the newstand and pick up a few magazines. Heavy! This is the best time of year to purge your closet (donate or give your friends some duds) and make room for a few new pieces to jump-start your wardrobe.
As promised, morex3 Fall Fashion Must-Haves:
- The Scarf Print – A Baroque pattern inspired by 80′s Versace motifs is one of the standout prints of the season. I particulary like it on a floaty chiffon blouse or on a silk scarf. To channel your inner Jackie O. take a square scarf, folding it into a triangle and tie the points at the nape of your neck. Allow the scarf to drape loosely creating a cowl. This is my favourite look with a fitted blazer. Super chic!
- Skinny Of The Future - This season there are many denim options – jewel tones, printed or coated. Take your pick! While colour denim was hottt for Spring/Summer, we are seeing denim in Fall hues such as burgundy, mustard, emerald, turquoise and magenta. For edgier fashionistahs, there are styles in tie-dye, metallic and faux leather finishes.
- Eye of the Tiger – The koala is my power animal when I am sleepy but when I am all riled up, it’s leopard, cheetah or tiger all the way. Animal prints are easy pieces to add to your transitional wardrobe (especially paired with camel or burgundy), but there is a major emphasis on tigers for Fall/Winter. These giant tiger heads are popping up on sweaters, dresses and tops.
September 10, 2012 No Comments
I keep having this reocurring dream that I’m back in elementary school, sitting in the cafeteria awkwardly having lunch with new classmates. Then I wake up, a tiny drip of perspiration, glad that I’m an OG (old girl) and it was just a nightmare. Bahahaha! Let’s not relive that again! I do enjoy this last burst of summertime heatwave but regardless of the hot, hottt weather, there is nothing better than making a list of Fall Fashion Must-Haves. Perhaps you can make your checklist with moi? Shall we? We shall!
- Houndstooth – Think of houndstooth like a black and white checker, on a diagonal zig-zag gone on steroids. Houndstooth is a classic retro-print which is best suited in a dress, a lovely chiffon blouse or a miniscule print on pants. To modernize and give this look a daring pop, pair it with brights such as canary yellow, fuschia or cobalt blue.
- Kick Up your Patent Heels – Who doesn’t adore a patent heel, non? There is something so Mad Men, so sexy secretary about shiny heels. I am quite partial to almond toes, however, the pointy heel is back! I always say, if you’re going to work a “look,” commit to it. Both look very sleek and elegant paired with a slim pencil skirt or well fitted dress trousers.
- Let Them Have Jewels – I love embellishment which means the return of the statement necklace, sequins, decorated tunics, dresses with ornate beading, the list goes on… This means we need to fill up our after 6pm social calendars to wear all these fantastic shimmery, sparkly pretty pieces.
Turn the page in your notebook, there are so many to list. Fall Fashion Must-Haves to be continued…
August 25, 2012 No Comments