Category — vintage
Little French cafés are so mignon (cute, dainty), non? Today, me and A went for petit déjeuner (breakfast) at the most darling patisserie housed in a Victoria row house. The food was deliciously French and so were the waiters. It’s the kind of place where they serve you lattes with the foam shaped in a heart. And where you say no béchamel and you end up saying yes to brioche and crepes with nutella. I can’t divulge its name for fear of it becoming too popular. Sorry darlings. Some secrets have to stay in my hair. We had a very French afternoon punctuated by flirty girlish giggling. Those are the days my friend!
If you don’t know much about my French muse Catherine Deneuve, I insist you really must read on Parisian Bombshell Chic: Catherine Deneuve. Trust.
November 3, 2013 No Comments
I have a slew of friends who are packing their luggage for warmer destinations come mid-December. There is only one word: jalouse! (that’s jealous in French).
Recently, at our annual fashionistah holiday brunch, we reminisced about our university graduation trip to Cancun. A few years later, older and wiser, I went on a girls vacation with my bestie C. Before departing for the airport, I told her father not to worry if he saw bloody beaches on the news; it would be the trail of broken hearts we would leave behind. Can you believe he let her go on vacay with moi?
Two girls in Mexico?!! It was a make or break trip for our friendship but somehow we managed to get into heaps of sketchy fun without the drrrrama. Stuff that brings back fond memories of Mexico:
December 10, 2012 No Comments
The reason why the September issue is a bazillion pages is that designers go all out for Fall. Forget weight training, just go to the newstand and pick up a few magazines. Heavy! This is the best time of year to purge your closet (donate or give your friends some duds) and make room for a few new pieces to jump-start your wardrobe.
As promised, morex3 Fall Fashion Must-Haves:
- The Scarf Print – A Baroque pattern inspired by 80′s Versace motifs is one of the standout prints of the season. I particulary like it on a floaty chiffon blouse or on a silk scarf. To channel your inner Jackie O. take a square scarf, folding it into a triangle and tie the points at the nape of your neck. Allow the scarf to drape loosely creating a cowl. This is my favourite look with a fitted blazer. Super chic!
- Skinny Of The Future - This season there are many denim options – jewel tones, printed or coated. Take your pick! While colour denim was hottt for Spring/Summer, we are seeing denim in Fall hues such as burgundy, mustard, emerald, turquoise and magenta. For edgier fashionistahs, there are styles in tie-dye, metallic and faux leather finishes.
- Eye of the Tiger – The koala is my power animal when I am sleepy but when I am all riled up, it’s leopard, cheetah or tiger all the way. Animal prints are easy pieces to add to your transitional wardrobe (especially paired with camel or burgundy), but there is a major emphasis on tigers for Fall/Winter. These giant tiger heads are popping up on sweaters, dresses and tops.
September 10, 2012 No Comments
I keep having this reocurring dream that I’m back in elementary school, sitting in the cafeteria awkwardly having lunch with new classmates. Then I wake up, a tiny drip of perspiration, glad that I’m an OG (old girl) and it was just a nightmare. Bahahaha! Let’s not relive that again! I do enjoy this last burst of summertime heatwave but regardless of the hot, hottt weather, there is nothing better than making a list of Fall Fashion Must-Haves. Perhaps you can make your checklist with moi? Shall we? We shall!
- Houndstooth – Think of houndstooth like a black and white checker, on a diagonal zig-zag gone on steroids. Houndstooth is a classic retro-print which is best suited in a dress, a lovely chiffon blouse or a miniscule print on pants. To modernize and give this look a daring pop, pair it with brights such as canary yellow, fuschia or cobalt blue.
- Kick Up your Patent Heels – Who doesn’t adore a patent heel, non? There is something so Mad Men, so sexy secretary about shiny heels. I am quite partial to almond toes, however, the pointy heel is back! I always say, if you’re going to work a “look,” commit to it. Both look very sleek and elegant paired with a slim pencil skirt or well fitted dress trousers.
- Let Them Have Jewels – I love embellishment which means the return of the statement necklace, sequins, decorated tunics, dresses with ornate beading, the list goes on… This means we need to fill up our after 6pm social calendars to wear all these fantastic shimmery, sparkly pretty pieces.
Turn the page in your notebook, there are so many to list. Fall Fashion Must-Haves to be continued…
August 25, 2012 No Comments
Let’s talk a stroll down Spice Girl memory lane. Let’s dust off our 90′s memorabilia and pop our cd into the ghettoblaster. Remember when you “chaperoned” your tween niece and her friends during the Spice concert? They were so embarrassed when you made them stand on their seats and sing along to “Stop right now, thank you very much, I need somebody with a human touch…” (and do the actions). How about the heartbreak you felt when you saw the news headlines that Geri left the band in the middle of her North American tour? Devastated, right?
Remember when you voted for your city to become a stop for the Spice reunion tour? Then got your friend’s husband to dial incessantly for 2 hours to get ‘Front of the Line’ tickets? Or maybe that was just moi? Whatever, you were obsessed too.
Watch these awesome classic Spice Girl videos – some my favourite spice tracks:
August 13, 2012 No Comments
OMGx3. In my middle age, sometimes I get a very random memory come back to me and I enjoy a silent chuckle.
As a tween in the 80′s growing up in the suburbs, we often had ‘punk parties.’ To achieve such a look: find an oversize shirt (WWMW – what would Madonna wear?), throw on a wide leather belt slung on your hips, crimp/tease your hair with a liberal application of hairspray (hold 10 seconds), accessorize with mesh gloves and the piece de resistance, drawing a giant lightning bolt on your cheek with blue lipstick. Sometimes you would get misinformation and a half hour before your arrival, you wouldn’t know if it was a ‘normal/wear jeans’ party or a ‘punk’ party. Such stress! And it’s not like we had cell phones back then! Drrrring! Dring!
In dire scenarios such as these, there was only one out — to keep a tube of blue lipstick in your pocket and offer to punkify the rest of your friends. With costumes, commitment and persuasion are key.
You wanna throw a punk party now. Ditto. Here’s your 80′s hair band playlist:
- Starship – We Built This City on Rock N’ Roll
- White Snake – Here I Go Again
- Def Leppard – Pour Some Sugar on Me
- Guns N’ Roses – Paradise City
- Mr. Big – To Be With You
- Poison – Every Rose Has Its Thorn
- Thompson Twins – Hold Me
June 5, 2012 No Comments