Fall Beauty Trends: DIY Nail Art
I have always been a big fan of Nail Art — what better conversation starters than the mini canvases on your fingertips? But I am very particular about what looks I love versus looks that I think are best suited for editorial or the Nicki Minaj’s of the world. These days, there are many options to DIY (do-it-yourself) your nails. Instead of taking the weekly trip to salon, save some cash-dollahs by staying home on a Friday night, doing your nails whilst watching Never Been Kissed. Plus, if your nails are wet, you can’t eat that bag of chips in the cupboard. Beautiful nails, zero calories!
Here are my Top Fall Nail Trends:
- A Striking Solid – Nail art doesn’t have to be over the top to have a high ROC. Sometimes a very unusual colour can illicit ooh’s and ahhh’s. Right now, I love colours that look like Pantone swatches from ELLE Decor. The other day, I was getting my nails done and I chose Essie’s Glamour Purse (an almond taupe shade) and the woman beside me felt necessary to comment, “The colour looks like it’s fading into her skintone.” Puh-lease, you don’t know. Insert eye roll.
- Black Tips French Manicure – A MAJOR trend to ignite the runways, this one is very easy to adapt to real life. All you have to do is take a classic manicure and making it edgier by using black polish striper to finish the tips. To create an even more daring contrast, you can use a trendy colour (such as a vampy burgundy, a metallic or a tawny shade) as your base coat. Ooh la, you are so September Vogue right now!
- Colour Block Those Digits – This is the most fun nail trend. There are number of easy to follow nail polish tutorials on the web to give you ideas on colour blocking. Similar to the apparel trend, it would be taking 2-3 contrasting nail shades to achieve a Mondrian-effect on your nails. My favourite is taking 2 of the same hue (a light & its darker counterpart) to do a French manicure. There is also the reverse Half-Moon where you use 2 solid colours – very dramatic in black and white!
Cutepolish on YouTube has many easy to follow Nail tutorials – here are my favourite based on the Fall Trends:
- Chevon Nails - This one takes effort so you may only want to do your thumbs or ring finger. Totally Missoni!
- Black Lace Nails - Another MAJOR runway trend. Fun idea: Wear a black lace outfit and do black lace on your nails. It’s another case of life imitating art, imitating life! (micro-macro)
- Half-Moon Manicure - Vintage 1920′s design will be very popular for Fall/Winter as Baz Luhrman’s highly anticipated The Great Gasby will be released in movie theatres inspiring an Art Deco fashion moment
What are your favourite nail trends for Fall? What’s your colour of the moment? Do TELL in the comments!